Pages

Sunday 19 April 2020

An Outdoor Festival In Winter In a Cold Climate

In Ayodhya, a city in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, as I was walking in a fair during Dussera, a festival commemorating the death of the demon Ravana, I could see a humongous model of the demon in the middle, ready to get burnt. Around it were hundreds of stalls selling sweets, savouries, wooden toys, cloths etc. The place was covered with a mild blanket of mist. I could hear people chattering like a mob of sparrows as they walked, along with the playing of devotional songs and the sizzling of edible oil. I could sense the damp smell of the mist mixed with the aroma of oil and sweets. The cold air was poking my skin as I walked and I shivered as if in a deadly chill. As I was feeling as cold as a dog's nose, I had a cup of hot milk which tasted delicious. Finally, a man dressed up as Lord Rama, the slayer of demon Ravana shot a glaring arrow at the model of the demon, which sizzled to the ground like a bundle of burning grass. I felt relieved as I smelled the smoke and felt the cozy warmth of the fire.

Finally, I experienced a boost of energy as the people around shouted, 'Jay Sri Ram'.


No comments:

Post a Comment